To content

International exchange

A new entry regulation for Germany has been in effect since Au­gust. According to this, guests must prove that they have been vaccinated, recovered or tested when entering the country. Anyone entering from a high-risk or virus variant area must register digitally in advance. One must also be tested and quarantined unless vaccinated with an EU-approved vaccine. Entry from virus variant areas is not possible except in a few exceptional cases. Further details can be found in the section Travel.

The German Federal Ministry of Health has published a detailed FAQ list on the regulations:

Persons who are staying in a country in which a virus variant of concern that is not yet prevalent in Germany is prevalent ("virus variant area"), are currently generally pro­hi­bi­ted from entering Germany in ac­cor­dance with the Co­ro­na Entry Regulation. This also applies to those who have been fully vaccinated. Exceptions are only possible in very few cases, for example for persons with registered residence and right of residence in Germany. As long as a country is considered a virus variant area, no visas can be issued.

Please check the website of the RKI (Robert Koch-Institut) on a regular basis for the risk classification of your country.

No. Only persons who have been vaccinated with a vaccination approved in the EU are considered as fully vaccinated. Revaccination with a vaccine approved in the EU are possible. Please seek medical advice on this, as there are currently no general recommendations. You can use  mobile vaccination services or visit your family doctor.


International Students

If you are coming to Germany for your studies, you will need a German health insurance. If you are initially going to start your studies from outside Germany, you do not need a German health insurance for the time being. After entry to Germany the health insurance obligation comes into force retroactively to the beginning of the semester.

It is not necessary to apply for a student ID card (UniCards). There are di­gi­tal alternatives for most of the functions of the UniCard. For example, you can identify yourself as a student of the TU Dort­mund Uni­ver­sity with your certificate of study (PDF) and your ID card/passport, and you can borrow books from the uni­ver­si­ty library using your di­gi­tal ID card in the TU app.

Your valid residence permit for Germany loses its validity if you stay abroad for more than six months at a time. Due to worldwide travel restrictions there is one exception: If you are abroad and have no possibility to return to Germany within 6 months, you can apply for an extension of the deadline. This application must be submitted to the re­le­vant Foreigners’ Registration Office before the deadline expires and can be made informally, for example by e-mail.

A direct postponement of the admission is not possible; a new application in due form and time must be submitted for the summer semester 2022.

Therefore, applicants who have been unable to enroll, can reapply from 15. No­vem­ber 2021 to 15. January 2022 for the summer semester 2022 and should enclose their admission letter for the winter semester 2021/22. 

Please inform yourself about the corresponding application periods and deadlines as well as about the application process on the website of the International Office.

Exchange Students (Incomings)

TU Dort­mund Uni­ver­sity welcomes exchange students (so-called incomings) in the winter semester 2021/2022 who have applied for a stay in due time and have been accepted. The International Office informs the incomings about the particularities that have to be observed with regard to the Co­ro­na situation via e-mail.

For questions, Erasmus students are welcome to contact the Erasmus team by e-mail and students in the ISEP, USA and worldwide programs are welcome to contact the Exchange Students Team by e-mail.

Location & approach